Patriotic Parade Project Learning – 3rd Grade
⭐ Patriotic Parade is a 3rd grade project based learning unit based all around calculating perimeter, arrays, elapsed time, bar graphs & pictographs, and more. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to plan a perfect patriotic parade using various measurement tools and data displays. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS Measurement & Data math standards to solve problems related to patriotic parade:
- 3.OA.A.1 Interpret products of whole numbers.
- 3.OA.A.3 Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities.
- 3.OA.D.8 Solve two-step word problems using the four operations.
- 3.NBT.A.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000.
- 3.NF.A.3 Explain the equivalence of fractions in special cases and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
- 3.MD.A.1 Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of time intervals in minutes.
- 3.MD.B.3 Draw a scaled picture graph and a scaled bar graph to represent a data set with several categories. Solve problems using information presented in scaled bar graphs.
- 3.MD.D.8 Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving perimeters of polygons.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired to plan a festive, patriotic parade. Their job is to organize the groups marching in the parade, set the course of the parade, analyze parade attendance, plan fun patriotic festivities like a bake sale, dunk tank, and fireworks, and assure everything is timed to perfection.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions and Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Parade Route (Calculating Perimeter)
- Parade Arrays (Arrays)
- Keeping Time (Elapsed Time)
- Parade Volunteers (Bar Graphs and Pictographs)
- Patriotic Festivities (One- and Two-Step Word Problems)
- Challenge 1: Marching Band (Creating a Line Plot, Comparing Fractions)
- Challenge 2: Parade Float (Polygons, Perimeter and Area)
- Evaluation & Rubric
- Answer Key