Patriotic Parade Project Learning – 3rd Grade
✖️ Get ready to salute math practice with this ⚐ Patriotic ⚐ Parade Project Based Learning Math PBL Unit – the ideal way to honor Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, or Veterans Day while mastering essential 3rd-grade math skills!
This red, white, and blue math PBL adventure covers length calculations, time-telling, bar graphs, pictographs, and more. Students will apply the following CCSS math standards using measurement tools and data displays to tackle real-world scenarios related to organizing a patriotic-themed parade:
- 3.OA.A.1 Interpret products of whole numbers.
- 3.OA.A.3 Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities.
- 3.OA.D.8 Solve two-step word problems using the four operations.
- 3.NBT.A.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000.
- 3.NF.A.3 Explain the equivalence of fractions in special cases and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
- 3.MD.A.1 Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of time intervals in minutes.
- 3.MD.B.3 Draw a scaled picture graph and a scaled bar graph to represent a data set with several categories. Solve problems using information presented in scaled bar graphs.
- 3.MD.D.8 Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving perimeters of polygons.
➖ Available in both printable PDF and Google Slides formats, this patriotic holiday PBL resource offers adaptability and engagement. Students will be enthralled as they plan their very own star-spangled parade using a variety of measurement tools and data displays, guided by easy-to-follow instructions.
➗ And just like a grand fireworks finale, we’ve added extra “challenge activities” to spark curiosity and deepen student understanding of key concepts and skills. Watch your math lessons reach new heights with this Patriotic Parade project-based learning unit!
✏️ Low Prep & Flexible – This PBL activity is easy for teachers to use. Simply print and go or assign in Google Classroom! Can be used for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day, or anytime you’re feeling patriotic!
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this 3rd grade math PBL perfect for any classroom. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used interchangeably.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired to plan a festive, patriotic parade. Their job is to organize the groups marching in the parade, set the course of the parade, analyze parade attendance, plan fun patriotic festivities like a bake sale, dunk tank, and fireworks, and assure everything is timed to perfection.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions and Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Parade Route (Calculating Perimeter)
- Parade Arrays (Arrays)
- Keeping Time (Elapsed Time)
- Parade Volunteers (Bar Graphs and Pictographs)
- Patriotic Festivities (One- and Two-Step Word Problems)
- Challenge 1: Marching Band (Creating a Line Plot, Comparing Fractions)
- Challenge 2: Parade Float (Polygons, Perimeter and Area)
- Evaluation & Rubric
- Answer Key