Patriotic Parade Project Learning – 4th Grade
⭐ Patriotic Parade is a 4th grade project based learning unit based all around calculating perimeter, arrays, elapsed time, bar graphs & rounding, and more. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to plan a perfect patriotic parade using various measurement tools and data displays. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS Measurement & Data math standards to solve problems related to patriotic parade:
- 4.OA.A.3 Solve multistep word problems posed with whole numbers and have whole-number answers using the four operations.
- 4.NBT.A.3 Use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers to any place.
- 4.NBT.B.4 Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 4.NBT.B.5 Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number/multiply two two-digit numbers.
- 4.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients and remainders with up to four-digit dividends and one-digit divisors.
- 4.NF.B.3 Understand a fraction a/b with a > 1 as a sum of fractions 1/b.
- 4.NF.C.6 Use decimal notation for fractions with denominators 10 or 100.
- 4.NF.C.7 Compare two decimals to hundredths by reasoning about their size.
- 4.MD.A.2 Use the four operations to solve word problems involving distances, intervals of time, liquid volumes, masses of objects, and money.
- 4.MD.A.3 Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real-world and mathematical problems.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired to plan a festive, patriotic parade. Their job is to organize the groups marching in the parade, set the course of the parade, analyze parade attendance, plan fun patriotic festivities like a bake sale, dunk tank, and fireworks, and assure everything is timed to perfection.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high performing students while making the resource accessible to your on level and below level students.
- Teacher Directions and Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Parade Route (Calculating Perimeter)
- Parade Arrays (Multiplication and Division Word Problems)
- Keeping Time (Elapsed Time)
- Parade Volunteers (Bar Graphs and Rounding)
- Patriotic Festivities (One- and Two-Step Word Problems)
- Challenge 1: Marching Band (Creating a Line Plot, Comparing Fractions)
- Challenge 2: Parade Float (Polygons, Perimeter and Area)
- Evaluation & Rubric
- Answer Key