Algebraic Thinking “Soccer” Project Based Activity – 4th Grade
⭐ Soccer Tournament is a project based learning unit based all around hosting a soccer tournament based on Operations and Algebraic Thinking, Numbers in Base Ten, and Measurement and Data. This 4th grade resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to work within a budget, calculate income from registrations, subtract expenses, review soccer practice statistics, create a line plot, and more. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task that involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to hosting a soccer tournament.
- 4.OA.A.3 Solve multistep word problems posed with whole numbers and having whole-number answers using the 4 operations, including problems with remainders.
- 4.NBT.B.4 Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 4.NBT.B5 Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number, and multiply two two-digit numbers, using strategies based on place value and the properties of operations. Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.
- 4.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients and remainders with up to four-digit dividends and one-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, the properties of operations, and/or the relationship between multiplication and division. Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.
- 4.MD.A.2 Use the 4 operations to solve word problems, including problems involving single fractions or decimals, and problems that require expressing measurements given in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit. Represent measurement quantities using diagrams such as a number line that feature a measurement scale.
- 4.MD.B.4 Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit. Solve problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions by using information presented in line plots.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to host a soccer tournament.
✏️ Differentiation – Two challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
1. Teacher & Student Directions
2. Welcome to the All-Star Soccer Tournament
3. Budgeting (collecting registration fees, paying expenses, and keeping running totals/subtotals)
4. Volunteers (plan schedules, word problems)
5. Soccer Practice (calculating and using data, making a line plot)
6. Town Map (word problems, elapsed time, calculating directions and distance)
7. Saturday & Sunday Tournament Schedule (word problems, time, elapsed time)
8. Challenge 1: Concession Stand (word problems, money)
9. Challenge 2: Concession Stand (word problems, money)
10. Self Evaluation & Rubric
11. Answer Key
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 5th Grade version!