Trip to the Aquarium Project Based Learning – 5th Grade Math
⭐Trip to the Aquarium is a project-based learning task that involves using 5th grade math standards to plan for a school field trip to the aquarium. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for any classroom. Students will be in charge of determining how much the field trip will cost, help make decisions about renting buses, creating a schedule for the day, and choosing educational classes, and more! Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task that involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to planning a school field trip to the aquarium.
- 5.NBT.A.1 Recognize that in a multi-digit number, a digit in one place represents 10 times as much as it represents in the place to its right and 1/10 of what it represents in the place to its left.
- 5.NBT.B.5 Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 5.NBT.B.6 Find whole number quotients of whole numbers with up to four-digit dividends and two-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, the properties of operations, and/or the relationship between mult/div. Illustrate and explain calculations.
- 5.NBT.B.7 Add, sub., mult., and div. decimals to the hundredths, using concrete models, drawings, or strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between add/sub. Relate to a written method and explain reasoning.
- 5.NF.A.1 Add/sub fractions with unlike denominators by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions, in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum or difference of fractions with like denominators.
- 5.NF.A.2 Solve word problems involving add/sub of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators.
- 5.NF.B.3 Interpret a fraction as division of the numerator by the denominator. Solve word problems involving division of whole numbers leading to answers in the form of fractions or mixed numbers.
- 5.NF.B.4 Apply and extend previous understanding of multiplication to multiply a fractions or whole number by a fraction.
- 5.NF.B.6 Solve real world problems, involving multiplication of fractions and mixed numbers.
- 5.MD.B.2 Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions. Use operations to solve problems in the line plots.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher & Student Directions
- Planning a Trip to the Aquarium- Information Card
- Ticket Prices (Calculate costs)
- Transportation (Costs, Travel time, Seating arrangements)
- Busing Word Problems (Elapsed time, Travel time)
- Chaperones (Divide students into groups)
- Schedule for the Day (Creating a schedule, Time, Timeline, Word problems)
- Dolphin Discovery (Determine ages with In/Out machine)
- Penguin Palooza (Organize data, Bar graph and line plot)
- Life in the Rainforest (Compare frog length to distance jumped, Snake length word problems, Comparing age and weight of tortoises)
- Challenge 1: Seal Feedings-1 (Calculate pounds of food)
- Challenge 1: Seal Feedings-2 (Cost to purchase seal food)
- Challenge 2: Gift Shop (Determine sales, Calculate percentage of money donated to Coral Reef Alliance)
Take a closer look at what this Project Based Learning looks like in this video preview.