3rd Grade Math Project Based Learning – Trip to the Aquarium
⭐ This low-prep project-based learning activity is a fun and meaningful way for students to practice their 3rd grade math standards. Students will solve real life challenges as they plan their school field trip to the aquarium. Challenges include determining how much the field trip will cost, decisions about renting buses, creating a schedule for the day, choosing classes, and more! Additional “challenge activities” help develop a further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides formats – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and practice key math skills. Students use the following math standards to solve problems related to planning their school field trip to the aquarium.
- 3.OA.C.7 Fluently multiply and divide within 100 using strategies such as the relationship between mult/div, or properties of operation.
- 3.OA.D.8 Solve 2-step word problems using the four operations.
- 3.OA.D.9 Identify arithmetic patterns and explain them using properties of operations.
- 3.NBT.A.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 3NBT.A.3 Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10.
- 3.MD.A.1 Tell and write time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes. Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of time intervals in minutes.
- 3.MD.B.3 Draw a scaled bar graph to represent a data set.
- 3MD.B.4 Generate measurement data. Show the data by making a line plot.
✏️ Low-Prep & No-Prep Design – This PBL activity contains everything you need to make this a fun and meaningful project. The print-and-go format makes it easy to execute with a few simple materials and very little prep work required. The digital Google Slides format requires no prep at all – just assign and go!
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- For the Teacher (Directions and standards)
- A Trip to the Aquarium (Student tasks)
- Planning a Field Trip to the Aquarium (Information card)
- Ticket Prices (Calculating total ticket prices for students and adults, Using a running total)
- Transportation (Comparing cost, speed, and travel time between school bus and coach bus)
- Busing Word Problems (Start time, End time, Elapsed time)
- Chaperones (Dividing students into supervised groups, Word problems)
- Schedule for the Day (Create a schedule for the field trip, Analog clocks, Timeline, Word problems)
- Dolphin Discovery (In/Out machine with word problems)
- Penguin Palooza (Using data to make a bar graph and line plot, Writing questions that compare numbers word problems)
- Life in the Rainforest (Converting measurement data, Inches, Feet, Length, Weight, Word problems)
- Challenge 1-Seal Feedings (Word problems, Measurement, Weight)
- Challenge 2-Gift Shop (Rounding, Operations)
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.