Trip to the Aquarium Project Based Learning – 3rd Grade Math
⭐Trip to the Aquarium is a project-based learning task that involves using 3rd grade math standards to plan for a school field trip to the aquarium. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for any classroom. Students will be in charge of determining how much the field trip will cost, help make decisions about renting buses, creating a schedule for the day, and choosing educational classes, and more! Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task that involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to planning a school field trip to the aquarium.
- 3.OA.C.7 Fluently multiply and divide within 100 using strategies such as the relationship between mult/div, or properties of operation.
- 3.OA.D.8 Solve 2-step word problems using the four operations.
- 3.OA.D.9 Identify arithmetic patterns and explain them using properties of operations.
- 3.NBT.A.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 3NBT.A.3 Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10.
- 3.MD.A.1 Tell and write time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes. Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of time intervals in minutes.
- 3.MD.B.3 Draw a scaled bar graph to represent a data set.
- 3MD.B.4 Generate measurement data. Show the data by making a line plot.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- For the Teacher (Directions and standards)
- A Trip to the Aquarium (Student tasks)
- Planning a Field Trip to the Aquarium (Information card)
- Ticket Prices (Calculating total ticket prices for students and adults, Using a running total)
- Transportation (Comparing cost, speed, and travel time between school bus and coach bus)
- Busing Word Problems (Start time, End time, Elapsed time)
- Chaperones (Dividing students into supervised groups, Word problems)
- Schedule for the Day (Create a schedule for the field trip, Analog clocks, Timeline, Word problems)
- Dolphin Discovery (In/Out machine with word problems)
- Penguin Palooza (Using data to make a bar graph and line plot, Writing questions that compare numbers word problems)
- Life in the Rainforest (Converting measurement data, Inches, Feet, Length, Weight, Word problems)
- Challenge 1-Seal Feedings (Word problems, Measurement, Weight)
- Challenge 2-Gift Shop (Rounding, Operations)
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.