Trip to the Aquarium – Project Based Learning – 4th Grade Math
⭐Trip to the Aquarium is a project-based learning task that involves using 4th grade math standards to plan for a school field trip to the aquarium. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for any classroom. Students will be in charge of determining how much the field trip will cost, help make decisions about renting buses, creating a schedule for the day, and choosing educational classes, and more! Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task that involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to planning a school field trip to the aquarium.
- 4.OA.A.3 Solve multistep word problems posed with whole numbers and having whole number answers using the four operations.
- 4.NBT.A.3 Use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers to any place.
- 4.NBT.B.4 Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 4.NBT.B.5 Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number, and multiply two two-digit numbers, using strategies based on place value and properties of operations. Illustrate and explain.
- 4.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients and remainders with up to four-digit dividends and one-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between multiplication and division.
- 4.NF.B.3.D Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions by using visual fraction models and equations.
- 4.NF.B.4.C Solve word problems involving multiplication of a fraction by a whole number.
- 4.NF.C.7 Compare two decimals by hundredths by reasoning about their size.
- 4.MD.A.1 Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units.
- 4.MD.A.2 Use the four operations to solve word problems involving distances, intervals of time, liquid volumes, masses of objects, and money, including problems involving simple fractions or decimals and problems that require expressing measurements given in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit. Represent measurement quantities using diagrams, such as number line diagram that feature a measurement scale.
- 4.MD.B.4 Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher & Student Directions
- Planning a Trip to the Aquarium- Information Card
- Ticket Prices (Calculate costs)
- Transportation (Costs, Travel time, Seating arrangements)
- Busing Word Problems (Time, Elapsed time)
- Chaperones (Divide students into groups)
- Schedule for the Day (Creating a schedule, Time, Timeline, Word problems)
- Dolphin Discovery (Determine ages with In/Out machine)
- Penguin Palooza (Organize data, Bar graph and Line plot)
- Life in the Rainforest (Compare frog length to distance jumped, Snake length word problems, Comparing age and weight of tortoises)
- Challenge 1: Seal Feedings-1 (Calculate pounds of food)
- Challenge 1: Seal Feedings-2 (Cost to purchase seal food)
- Challenge 2: Gift Shop (Determine sales, Calculate percentage of money donated to Coral Reef Alliance)
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.