⭐️Teachers and students love these 12 printable and digital Lexile® certified close reading stories from different genres for 5th grade. Paired passages and questions are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing compare stories in genres skills for RL.5.9. Fifth-grade students learn to compare and contrast stories in the same genre for their approaches to themes and topics.
Genres include action/ adventure, fantasy, historical fiction, mystery, science fiction, and realistic fiction.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for teaching or reinforcing these skills.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and two5th grade compare stories in genres skills-focused test passages aligned with RL.5.9. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied within the fourth and fifth-grade bands and aligned to Common Core standards.
⭐️The printable PDF and digital versions are both included with this product for classroom and distance learning needs. The digital version is compatible with Google Drive and Google Slides and can be downloaded from Google Slides into PowerPoint.
✏️Lexile Levels – All 12 stories include a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 4th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for fourth and fifth grade is 740L-1010L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – The color-coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard-based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple-choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Anthony B. said, “This was an absolutely amazing resource for comparing stories! Thank you!”
★ Kayle T. said, “Great resource! The students really enjoyed it.”
★ Shondra S. said, “This was a great resource. My scholars were engaged throughout the lesson. It was simple to use.”
1. Genre Anchor Chart & Journal Page
2. Action & Adventure Anchor Chart
3. Action & Adventure Practice Passages & Question Set
- The Last Sword of Miatas- 820L / The Island of Celeste- 900L
4. Fantasy Anchor Chart
5. Fantasy Practice Passages & Question Set
- The Blazewing- 1000L / You Can’t Capture Starlight- 890L
6. Historical Fiction Anchor Chart
7. Historical Fiction Practice Passages & Question Set
- Back to the West- 740L / The Cat Goddess- 860L
8. Mystery Anchor Chart
9. Mystery Practice Passages & Question Set
- The Case of the Missing Books- 750L / The Rainbow Vandal- 1000L
10. Science Fiction Anchor Chart
11. Science Fiction Practice Passages & Question Set
- The Invisible Planet- 840L / Visitors from the Sky- 760L
12. Realistic Fiction Anchor Chart
13. Realistic Fiction Test Passages & Question Set
- The Cherub and the Trickster- 760L / A Lightbulb Moment- 910L
⭐️See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Similar resources are available for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th grade.