Holiday Helping Hands Project Based Learning – 5th Grade Math
⭐Holiday Helping Hands is a project-based learning task that involves using 5th grade math standards as they help different families prepare for their special winter holidays. In this project, your students will meet five families who celebrate different winter holidays. They all need help to prepare to celebrate. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in any classroom. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to preparing for different special winter holidays.
- 5.NBT.A.1 Recognize that in a multi-digit number, a digit in one place represents 10 times as much as it represents in the place to the right and 1/10 of what it represents in the place to its left.
- 5.NBT.A.4 Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.
- 5.NBT.B.5 Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 5.NBT.B.6 Find whole number quotients of whole numbers with up to four-digit dividends and two-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between multiplication and division.
- 5.NBT.B.7 Perform all operations with decimals to hundredths using concrete models, drawings, and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction, relate to a written method, and explain reasoning.
- 5.NF.B.4.B Multiply fractional side lengths to find areas of rectangles and represent fraction products as rectangular areas.
- 5.NF.A.2 Solve word problems with addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole by using visual models or equations.
- 5.NF.B.6 Solve real world problems with multiplication of fractions and mixed numbers by using visual fraction models or equations.
- 5.MD.A.1 Convert among different sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system. Use in solving multistep real-world problems.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- For the Teacher (directions and standards)
- Let’s Get Ready for the Holidays (student tasks)
- Hanukkah (information card)
- Latkes (operations, measurement, time, and money)
- Christmas (information card)
- The Tree (length, money)
- Caroling (multiplication, time)
- Las Posadas (information card)
- Churros (multiplication/division, operations, measurement, time)
- The Procession (distance, elapsed time)
- Kwanzaa (information card)
- Crafting (multiplication, patterns, word problems)
- Candles (multiplication, word problems)
- Drumming (addition, multiplication, patterns, word problems)
- Chinese New Year (information card)
- Zodiac Calendar (time, multiplication, word problems)
- Dumplings (measurement, fractions, word problems)
- New Year’s Day Parade (time, multiplication, word problems)
- Challenges (area/perimeter, rounding, measurement)
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 2nd grade version!