Holiday Helping Hands Project Based Learning – 4th Grade Math
⭐Holiday Helping Hands is a project-based learning task that involves using 4th grade math standards as they help different families prepare for their special winter holidays. In this project, your students will meet five families who celebrate different winter holidays. They all need help to prepare to celebrate. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in any classroom. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to preparing for different special winter holidays.
- 4.OA.A.3 Solve multistep word problems posed with whole numbers and having whole-number answers using the 4 operations, including problems with remainders.
- 4.NBT.A.3 Use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers to any place.
- 4.NBT.B.4 Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 4.NBT.B.5 Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number, and multiply two two-digit numbers, using strategies based on place value and the properties of operations.
- 4.NBT.B.6 Find whole number quotients and remainders with up to 4-digit dividends and 1-digit divisors based on place value, properties of operations, and relationship between multiplication and division.
- 4.NF.B.3 Understand a fraction q/b with a > 1 as a sum of fractions 1/b. Solve word problems involving addition and subtractions of fractions.
- 4.NF.B.4 Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction by a whole number. Solve word problems involving multiplication of a fraction by a whole number.
- 4.MD.A.1 Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units.
- 4.MD.A.2 Use the 4 operations to solve word problems, including problems involving single fractions or decimals, and problems that require expressing measurements given in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit. Represent measurement quantities using diagrams such as a number line that feature a measurement scale.
- 4.MD.A.3 Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real world and mathematical problems.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- For the Teacher (directions and standards)
- Let’s Get Ready for the Holidays! (student tasks)
- Hanukkah (information card)
- Latkes (operations, measurement, time, and money)
- Christmas (information card)
- The Tree (length, money)
- Caroling (multiplication, time)
- Las Posadas (information card)
- Churros (multiplication/division, operations, measurement, time)
- The Procession (distance, elapsed time)
- Kwanzaa (information card)
- Crafting (multiplication, patterns, word problems)
- Candles (multiplication, word problems)
- Drumming (addition, multiplication, patterns, word problems)
- Chinese New Year (information card)
- Zodiac Calendar (time, multiplication, word problems)
- Dumplings (measurement, fractions, word problems)
- New Year’s Day Parade (time, multiplication, word problems)
- Challenges (area/perimeter, rounding, measurement)
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 5th grade version!