Playground Architect Project Based Learning – 4th Grade
⭐Playground architect is a STEM project-based learning task that involves using 4th grade math standards to build a model for a playground. In this project, your school is getting a new playground, and the principal has announced an exciting contest for the students where they will submit their idea for the new playground. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for any classroom. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards
- 4.OA.A.2 Multiply or divide to solve word problems involving multiplicative comparison.
- 4.NBT.A.1 Recognize that in a multi-digit whole number, a digit in one place represents ten times what it represents in the place to its right.
- 4.NBT.B.4 Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 4.NBT.B.5 Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number and multiply two two-digit numbers.
- 4.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients and remainders with up to four-digit dividends and one-digit divisors.
- 4.MD.A.1 Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units including km, m, cm; kg, g; lb, oz.; l, ml; hr, min, sec. Within a single system of measurement, express measurements in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit.
- 4.MD.A.2 Use the four operations to solve word problems involving distances, intervals of time, liquid volumes, masses of objects, and money, including problems involving simple fractions or decimals, and problems that require expressing measurements given in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit.
- 4.MD.A.3 Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real-world and mathematical problems.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Modeling Supplies
- Model Making (Measurement, Area & Perimeter)
- Let’s Get Building (Area & Perimeter, Multiplication & Division)
- Playground Features (Area & Perimeter, Converting Measurements)
- Jungle Gym (Model Building)
- Finishing Touches (Word Problems)
- Challenge #1: Mural (Geometry, Measurement)
- Challenge #2: More Models (Building Models)
- Self-Reflection & Evaluation
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.